So this weekend I was suppose to do a 23 mile run. My Saturday and Sunday were completely booked, so I attempted to my long run Fri. evening. Unfortunately, I only made it about 11 miles until my calf muscles began cramping and I could only push through 2 more miles with the cramping legs. I'm glad this wasn't the marathon race because it would of been a DNF (did not finish). Through all my training do far, this is the first time I've had problems with leg cramps. When I started the run it was around 90F outside, and I was on the tail end of my Fri. fast, so I may have been low on electrolytes. I did have an electrolyte drink with me that I was drinking, but it may have been to little to late. The run was disappointing because I had to miss my last 22 mile run because of work, so I was hoping to make up for it during this run. I have a 10K race scheduled for this coming weekend and then one more 20+ run scheduled in a couple weeks. Then after that I will be starting a tapering process until the marathon. This week will consist of some speed drills and of course all the normal early morning runs.
On a side note, I ran across some research that indicates that endurance training causes a Cortisol response that can cause an increase in stomach fat. So, after the marathon is done I may take off a month or two from running to work on my last 10lbs, if I can't get rid of it before then. One thing I have started is an alternate day fasting plan. I have been doing this for the last couple of weeks and have seen some reduction in weight. I am fasting Mon., Wed., and Fri. Then on the other days I've been staying keto, with a few additional calories than I normally eat, in am attempt to increase the metabolism.
Sorry, I haven't posted much. I have been busy with work and training. If you hear less from me then I'm doing more. Also, marathon training is for the most part just miles and miles, hours and hours of just plain running. When you think of someone who has ran a marathon, it's easy to not think about the hundreds of miles and months and months in training that came before the marathon.

Comments
Post a Comment