Skip to main content

Marathon Training - Spider Webs

Saturday

There are a lot of things as I become a runner I enjoy.  Like for instance, the sense of accomplishment you get when you get up early and go for a run before anyone else even gets up.  It sets your mindset in a goal crushing mode for the rest of the day.  There are also some things that I don't like about running.  The first mile when you feel all those little aches and pains that are saying to stop.  The little pains that you use to listen to that were keeping you from reaching your goals.  Running in the dark after the news just reported a mountain lion sighting in your area and you are running out in the country with no one around for miles.  Another thing that is not too much fun are dogs that like to chase you and act like they want to eat your leg off. Also, I hate the last mile or so of a new long run that is farther than you have run before.  Your body finds all sorts of ways to slow you down, especially with leg cramps.  And the number one thing I hate about running, is running through spider webs.


Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade being able to run for the person I used to be.  Running, for me, has become more of a mental challenge than anything.  I know the body and muscles can be trained to do the required work.  But, the mind is the real challenge.  It seems like it is constantly telling you to stop and this is the biggest hurdle to overcome.  You have to train the quit out if the mind.  

This mornings training run was an 18 mile run.  I don't mind telling you that it kicked my behind. The first 13 miles I included the stretch of road I refer to as the devils staircase.  I did fine through this section and I was able to keep my heartrate well within my aerobic  range (135bpm)  which is better than I've done in the past.  But, it also used all my energy and to keep my heartrate in the 135bpm range I had to revert to walking about two miles of the last five miles.  What I can tell you is that I feel a lot better now after running 18 miles then I did when I first started just trying to walk three miles and almost passing out.  If you are just starting out in your fitness journey, hang in there, you can do it.

My moto is "Everyday one step farther and second faster".

During the run, I packed some almonds and some ketoaid.  I am contemplating using some carbs for the long runs to see if it helps my performance and speed any.   If there is anyone reading this in Keto world and you also are doing marathons, comment below and let me know if you use carbs for running and how it impacts your performance.  For brunch I had 2-3 scrambled eggs, bacon, ham and sausage.  For dinner we will going out to see a movie and I'll be having a burger bowl,  which is just a hamburger patty on top of a salad with a fried egg and some avocado slices.

Keep Calm and Keto On. 
KCKO



Need some more wind in my sails.
First step in the devils staircase






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday -Lunch

We went out for lunch today and I ordered a Steak House Salad.  I would estimate it 3-4 cups salad, 6 oz. steak and ranch dressing.  Sometimes the problem with eating out is figuring out all the macros.  I estimate it to be around 600 -800 calories

Marathon Training - Week 2

Monday - Rain Today started week 2 of marathon training.   Today was a speed work day. On the schedule for today, was 3 sets of 1 mile runs at my 5K race pace. I did some stretches this morning before running which seemed to aggravate my ankle just a little.  Just for a little added challenge, it was raining with a blowing wind today.  It was a fairly warm 72F, so at least it wasn't a cold rain. I find that running in the rain helps your mental game by training your mind to deal with adversity.  It also helps you boost confidence. Suddenly when your the only one out running and you don't see any of the normal people you see out running you feel all the more like the toughest runner. For lunch, I had keto nachos made with pork rinds, hamburger, mozzarella cheese, and sour cream.  For dinner, we had pot roast and broccoli.

Marathon Training - Week Three

Sunday - Rest Day This week the milage jumps up.  On Monday and Wednesday I'll be running six miles and on Tuesday and Thursday five miles. Then on Saturday it will be 12 miles.  There may be some sweet equity involved this week. In any case today is a rest day.  So, this evening I will just be doing some stretching to get the muscles relaxed for this week. For lunch today I had steak and eggs and then afterwards are a few pecans.  If all goes as planned this should be my only meal for the day. Marathon training does require you to be extreme.  But it does requires daily consistency to slowly building up your endurance to achieve the extreme. Remember to Keep Calm and Keto On!